I rented a property & it's in awful condition.

Unfortunatly there's not a lot you can do once you get there ready for your vacation.

If it's a health & safety violation you can report them to your local health inspector or building inspection department.

You can call the owner and ask for a refund or ask to reduce the amount you paid. They may or may not be willing to do that.

You can leave the place and stay at another one.

Typically something like this becomes a civil matter in the Unites States. So if the place isn't  as described you'll need to use the courts for help. Take lots of pictures of the place, especially areas not as described & keep good notes about any times you called the owner to fix what was wrong & their response.

Contact an attorney if you need legal advice.

We highly recommend you get travel insurance. We have found CSA Travel Protection works good.

If you have any others you'd like to see here please contact us and we'll put them up.

 If you suspect fraud please contact:

  • FTC toll free hotline: 877-382-4357
  • FTC online complaint form (www.ftc.gov)
  • Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
  • Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov/)
  • Non-emergency number for your local police department.